April 8, 2012

30 Day Music Challenge: Day 8 - A Song You Know All the Words To

"The McDonalds Menu Song"



I remember this song came as an insert in the Sunday coupon section of the newspaper. It was one of those really flimsy records that could be cheaply mass-produced but actually worked on a record player. I remember listening to it a million times, imagining that if I knew all the words, I would have a chance at winning the million dollar tie-in contest. Eventually, I transferred the recording over to a tape (and for some reason, also recorded a high speed version) and listened to it over and over again until I had the lyrics committed to memory.

I don't know the words to most songs I listen to, even my most favorite, but today is the first time I've listened to "The McDonalds Menu Song" since 1989 and I'm proud to say I still know every single word. And I'm still waiting for the million.


No comments: