April 20, 2012

30 Day Music Challenge:Day 20 - A Song You Listen to When You're Angry

George Harrison - "My Sweet Lord"

 

When I'm really angry, I can go one of two ways--sustain or diffuse the anger. Usually, this decision is made when stuck in traffic. If I want to sustain the anger, I roll down the windows and blast Dillinger Escape Plan (either their self-titled EP or Calculating Infinity).

Should I decide to calm down, I put on "My Sweet Lord." I'm not a spiritual person and I don't buy into religions (Western or Eastern), but I can't deny the relaxing properties of a chanted mantra, especially when accompanied by a hypnotic, full-sounding acoustic guitar. I am usually feeling better by the key change, at which point I'm also in awe of how cool it is to completely change the key of the song for really no reason. Plus George Harrison seems like a cool dude and I feel like he spent a lot of time having to calm himself down to get through arguments with Paul McCartney.

No comments: