February 14, 2010

RPM 2010 - Day 14 - Meet Me Halfway

It's the halfway point in the month of February. I may or may not have 35 minutes worth of music. I'm not really sure. All I know is that if I spend the second half of the month working as slowly as the first half, then I'm not going to complete this challenge.

My band Plowing Mud Forever is playing a show on Tuesday night, then practicing again on Wednesday, so I probably won't even get to start recording until Thursday the 18th, which doesn't give me a lot of time. I don't have my 8-track or drum machine with me, so I think I'm going to be stuck writing and arranging again tomorrow.

With all the snow and cabin fever last week, I watched The Shining a couple times, so I had a half baked idea of writing a song based on the film. I called it "The Shindig." I came up with an intro that reminded me of a helicopter sound like in the beginning of the movie, but then I decided my concept was stupid and wrote other music completely unrelated to The Shining. Some of the lyrics are sort of inspired by the film, so maybe all is not lost. I've also been watching a lot of the Poltergeist series so I'll probably work that in too. I wrote most of this song yesterday, then realized this morning that my recordings didn't actually record, and tried to recreate as much as I could today.

Here's what I've got:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHVeblYfpO0

No comments: