June 2, 2009

Virgin Smegmastore Part VI

It's June and the Virgin Megastore at Union Square store is still open. The discounts at the ever-closing store have gone up to 40%-60%. I didn't actually see anything at 60%, though I can safely assume it's just wallets, posters, and rock and roll mousetraps. Most importantly, DVDs and CDs are at 40% off, which puts their prices on a competitive level with Amazon.

This also means that it's time for me to finally buy things! Most of my wish list has already been depleted by people with less interest in getting things for a decent price, so I didn't walk out with much on my visit last night. I picked up Tim and Eric's Awesome Show, Great Job! Seasons 1 and 2 for the same exact price that they are selling for on Amazon. The TV on DVD section was hit particularly hard, and the Season 1 DVD appeared to be the last copy in stock, so I felt a sense of urgency to grab it. I didn't save any money, but I didn't lose any either. No harm, no foul.

The DVDs are quickly disappearing, so if anyone is still holding out, you'd better hope your items are still in stock. The Criterion Collection is pretty much gone except for a billion copies of The Last Emporer. The Music DVDs are slim pickin's too. I still plan on buying the Sarah Bareilles concert DVD, but every time I go back to the store, there are more and more copies. Last week I counted 31. There are even more this week. TV on DVD is mostly Aqua Teen, CSI, and a shitload of SNL retrospectives.

The rest of the DVD sections are filled with overstocked horror/action movies that no one will buy (Jaws 3, Friday the 13th Part 1, Doom) and cheapo comedy favorites that are tempting to dorks like me (Bad News Bears, Naked Gun, Police Academy 2 & 3). The RoBeastress decided that she didn't care to wait any longer and picked up a recently remastered Real Genius for $6 (technically, I picked it up for her, and she bought me a cheesesteak). I will not deny that $6 is a good price for a DVD, but there are so many of those childhood HBO favorites of mine sitting there that I would enjoy watching again but don't necessarily need in my collection. To buy them all now would be overkill. I'll wait and let natural selection weed out the ones that the DVD gods don't want me to take home.

As for CDs, there are billions remaining, presumably because of the already crappy prices. They busted out a lot of good priced greatest hits packages a couple weeks ago, but for the most part, music is still more expensive than online or at other stores. After much debate, the only thing I bought was the new Kelly Clarkson CD. After discounts, the Deluxe Edition was cheaper than the Amazon version. Sure, maybe I didn't really need the Deluxe Edition, but the regular version was not a better price than on Amazon (unless you count the regular version that I found mislabelled with a cheaper, incorrect price that I didn't bring up to the counter because I'm clearly too ethical for my own good). Plus the Deluxe Edition comes with 2 extra songs. Kelly Clarkson CDs have been hit or miss with me, so the two tracks tacked on at the end could very well be amazing. Anyway, I'll be reviewing that CD soon because I feel it is my duty, so enough (of you laughing at me for buying) Kelly Clarkson for now.

Elsewhere in the store, mannequins are 2-for-$150, corny t-shirts are plentiful, Prince's Batman Soundtrack is $4.20, the Gay/Lesbian Film section has turned into the Redneck Comedy section, and the whole ground floor smells like Nutz-4-Nutz. There were also a couple mentally disturbed people milling about. I guarantee the downstairs floor is going to be completely fucking ransacked this weekend so I'm going to pop in again on Saturday afternoon and witness the carnage. I have no idea if the discounts will go any deeper, but I've got my fingers KrissKrossed.

Sports!

5 comments:

Rob F said...

Did you say Kelly Clarkson?

Ro-Beast Rollie said...

Yes, Kelly Clarkson. I'll have a review up maybe on Thursday.

General Dowd said...

Don't forget that the aforementioned Fallout 3 statue is now missing his (her?) right hand. Hell Comes to Bargaintown!

rpm said...

I like the idea of DVD gods, who apparently didn't want me to have any of the TV shows that I had put on my list the last time I was in Virgin.

Perhaps they want me to spend my summer out of doors. If only the clothing gods could get it together to bestow on me shorts that fit, so's I don't sweat to death.

teh Beauty said...

That's a good price for mannequins. Dammit.