May 27, 2008

Well I'll be damned...

I accidentally liked a Rolling Stones song. Well, most of it.

On my day off, I decided to attempt Used CD shoppin' at Academy Records again. Being Tuesday morning, and not Sunday afternoon, things went a lot smootherly. Not as many looney tunes in the store this time, so I got to actually explore the racks.

For those keeping score, I picked up (and I'll be hotlinking every one of these because I don't have time for this shit):







I bought The Sopranos soundtrack knowing that I've heard every song on it, but without really knowing which song is which. I could be wrong, but I don't believe they credit any of the music in the credits of the show. For the most part, I like the music on the show, but every once in a while, a particular track fits so amazingly well that I get an HBOner. The "Every Breath You Take/Theme From Peter Gunn" mash-up is one of those moments. Dominic Chianese singing "Core 'ngrato" at the end of Season 3 is fantastic too. Obviously "Don't Stop Believing" in the last scene of the last episode is epic. Tony singing just one line of Buddy Holly's "Maybe Baby" on his way out of Dr. Melfi's is enough to get me going.

One particularly sombre moment is at the end of Season 2. It's a very long, slow montage, with an equally long, slow guitar track playing. Coupled with the gritty and haunting vocal, it puts to a rest a torturous and introspective season. The song gets stuck in my head quite often, but I've never known who it was. I picked up the Peppers and Eggs set today hoping that the song would be on there. At the end of the first disc, I was finally greeted with the track. I looked at the back of the jewel case and... The Rolling Stones? How the fuck could that have gotten past my radar?

I'll tell you how--Keith Richards sings the song. I don't think I'd ever heard him sing before. I'm still a little dumbfounded because it's good. Now I'm no Jagger fan. I'm not even a Rolling Stones fan, but this is good stuff. I even like the other Keith Richards track on the album. Fuck, do I actually like Keith Richards? Most Rolling Stones shtuff is too repetitive for me, but this is nice. Maybe they should do more soundtrack work.

Here is the scene:



Don't Stop Baleetin'

1 comment:

General Dowd said...

Why is Christopher sitting next to Lt. Data?